Legionella and Legionellosis: Introduction to Epidemiology and Risk Management
8 AUGUST 2018
Date: Thursday, August 8, 2018
Time: 9:00am-10:30am (Pacific); 11:00am-12:30pm (Central) 12:00pm-1:30pm (Eastern)
Instructor: Dr. Michael Berg, EMLab P&K Laboratory Director
CEU's: See below
Field workers are often called upon to identify and eliminate Legionella contaminations in buildings. This organism is a significant threat to human health, particularly for individuals who are immune compromised due to either age or medical conditions. The Legionella organism possesses unique characteristics that allow it to readily colonize homes, workplaces and hospitals. These same characteristics make Legionella difficult to detect, quantify and eradicate. In this presentation we will discuss this challenge from the perspective of a worker in the field. Particular focus will be placed on utilizing the most modern methods and technologies we have available to address Legionella detection and remediation.
• ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 188-2015
• Process and tools of Legionella detection
• Signs of possible Legionella contamination
• Signs exhibited by individuals exposed to the Legionella organism
• Design and execution of a sampling plan
• Laboratory analytical methods and interpretation of results
• Recommended action thresholds for contamination
• Methods and applications for eradicating Legionella contamination
Continuing Education Units (CEU's):
• ABIH: This event contains 1.5 technical contact hours and may be eligible for ABIH CM credit (see ABIH website for CM credit criteria).
• ACAC: This course is accepted for ACAC RCs
• BCSP: This event contains 1.5 technical contact hours and may be eligible for BCSP Recertification points (see BCSP website for Recertification criteria).
• BCRSP: This event contains 1.5 technical contact hours and may be eligible for BCRSP CM points (see BCRSP website for CM point criteria).
• CRBOH: 0.25 RM points (Award # 2016-19)
• HIABC: 1.5 MRCs
NOTE: To receive a certificate of attendance, you must attend the live webinar and complete the survey within 24 hours after webinar ends (see link in "Thank you" email sent an hour after the webinar ends). PDF certificates are emailed 2-3 weeks after the webinar.